I am excited to be linking up with “What I’ve Learned” with Emily P. Freeman to share some things I’ve learned over the past few months.
- There was a Christmas Tree shortage in 2017 and it will more than likely continue on for subsequent years. The shortage is being linked to the economic downturn back in 2008 because Christmas trees take about 8-10 years to grow and during that downturn a lot of tree farmers left the business and fewer trees were being sold during that time because people were spending less. Well, since not as many trees were planted during that time (meaning supply is low) and now we are in a period of growth where consumer spending is up (meaning demand is high) this leads to a shortage. **disclaimer – I am a CPA and economics was interesting to me during college and as I studied for the CPA exam, so this intrigues me. I think it is so neat to see a real-life example of something I’ve studied. Nerd alert. **
- The groundhog saw his shadow this year, so that means 6 more weeks of winter. This article was interesting in learning about the origin of Groundhog Day. I can’t believe it’s been a tradition for 132 years. I was curious to see how many times he has been right and I found this article that shared five fun facts about Groundhog Day and also said that according to the National Climatic Data Center Phil’s prediction’s have been correct 39 percent of the time.
- Pharrell Williams created a song that won’t be released for 100 years. Just read the article…I find it interesting, but maybe just a little weird too.
- I have enjoyed learning more about the Enneagram lately. I have been listening to a few different podcasts on the subject and Nancy Ray has been doing a little Facebook book club on the book “The Road Back to You” by Ian Morgan Cron and Suzanne Stabile this month that I have been enjoying. I have skimmed the book in the past and am wanting to read it again slower and actually take an assessment to find out what type I am (I’m pretty sure I am a Type 9, but I think I do show tendencies of other Types so I am not positive). A podcast episode I recently enjoyed listening to was Sorta Awesome’s episode on Energy. So much of what Megan talked about how energy affected her as being a Type 9 on the Enneagram resonated so much with me (this episode is what made me really think that I might be a Type 9). I even sent them an e-mail telling them how much I enjoyed that episode and how it brought me freedom in giving myself grace in accepting who I am and how I function. **side note – Megan even responded to my e-mail and I was so excited to get a response!**
- Probably the most important thing I’ve learned this quarter is that prayer helps. Life has been stressful on many different aspects lately and I am learning that prayer helps to calm me down and helps to relieve the stress. Even if God doesn’t answer right then, there is something calming about talking about it with God and knowing that He is in control. Honestly my prayer life has never been great and it is something I definitely want to improve and grow in. I have been thinking a lot about the legacy I want to leave my girls with and prayer is something I want them to see lived out in my life. I am also learning that I can pray whenever and wherever I am…it’s not something that needs to be formal every time, but I can just have conversations with God any time I want. This has been such a help to me in this season of life.
Well, I’m sure there are more things I’ve learned, but it is late and morning comes early, so it’s off to bed I go!
Until next time…keep it simple!